VISAS TO TRAVEL TO SRI LANKA
TYPES OF VISA
• Tourist Visa & Transit Visa
Validity Period of Foreign Passports for Sri Lankan Visas
i. Duly completed Visa application form
ii. Two recent photographs – passport size – (Colour or Black and White)
iii. Valid passport with one unused visa page (passport should be valid for six months from the date of departure from Sri Lanka - after the intended visit)
iv. Additional requirements mentioned under respective visa categories
v. Please provide the following documents to obtain visa for children under 16 years.
vi. Relevant Visa fee (view Visa fees).
Note: under no circumstance could you change the status of visa after arrival in Sri Lanka. For example, a person who visits Sri Lanka on holiday cannot engage in any business/ profession, social work, charity or any other form of voluntary work or employment paid or unpaid without obtaining prior visas for such purposes. If such changes are required after arrival in Sri Lanka, the person will be required to leave the country and obtain the appropriate visa from the nearest Sri Lankan Mission, with the approval of the Controller General of Immigration & Emigration.
DURATION TO PROCESS VISA APPLICATIONS
• Tourist Visa – Issuing after 7 working days between 9.30am to 1pm
• Business Visa - Issuing after 10 working days between 9.30am to 1pm
• Visa for Elective Studies - Ten (10) working days to process the application.
• Visa for Conferences, Seminars and workshops - Ten (10) working days to process the application.
Please submit your visa application in advance to avoid unnecessary delays
For all following Visa types:
OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION
If the passports and documents are to be returned by post, you should provide a self-addressed prepaid/stamped special delivery envelope to the weight of 500g along with your application form. The special delivery cover should not be stamped with a postage printout issued by the post office for same day use. Applications sent without prepaid special delivery cover/ or postage will be retained until the applicant collects it personally. Note: The High Commission will not take any responsibility for documents lost in the post.
• If the applicant is unable to come personally to the High Commission to collect the Passport/ documents, he/she may authorise another person, in writing. The person who comes for collection of documents should produce his identity and the original receipt issued by this High Commission.
• Incomplete applications received by post will be returned.
• Visa fees paid will not be refunded.
• Irish passport holders should include an additional amount of £8/- if they require their passports to be sent back to Ireland by registered airmail.
• If a visitor wishes to extend his stay in Sri Lanka, he/she should apply to the Department of Immigration & Emigration, 41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka before the expiry of visa.
• Visitors should hold a return onward air ticket or sufficient funds for air ticket.
• Visitors should possess sufficient funds equivalent to US. $. 30/- (minimum) per day for board and lodging for the duration of stay.
• Under certain circumstances interviews will be conducted by the high commission and the interviewees might be asked to provide extra documents if necessary
• Under any circumstances there is no refund
• For Residence or Work visa and visa for Volunteer Work or personnel attached to Non-Governmental Organizations please contact:
Department of Immigration & Emigration
No: 41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha
Tel: 0094 11 5329301
Fax: 00 94 11 2674631